Sunday, April 20, 2008

The Day I Hit a Tree With My Bike.

This is not long but funny. Jake has become “Captain Mountain Bike” recently and I am his amazing sidekick “Frau Falls Off A Lot”. In true overachieving fashion today I managed to hit a 6 inch wide tree dead on with my 2 inch wide bike tire. This was 3/4 of the way through the longest mountain biking trip of all time and I was barely remaining on the bike much less steering well. I could not reproduce the stunt if required to in order to save my own life. Jake said he heard me yell “OH BOY” (which I thought was very tame and proper of me under duress) and then heard a really loud THUMP. I managed to remain on the bicycle but have some pretty impressive bruises on my legs. Hard to figure out if they occurred during that scuffle with nature or the other five times I ran my pedal into a tree or rock, or the time I was pedaling up hill, lost momentum and just fell off. Happy to report that there is no poison ivy yet this time of year so it should turn out better than the last time I fell off. The point here kids is that no matter what nature and gravity always win.

No comments: