Wednesday, August 13, 2008

"Elbow Room Cried Daniel Boone"


The title is a direct quote all Toll children are aware of. It is what you say when you want people to scoot over. Kind of a precursor to the shove or slug that you know is coming. I have no idea what it really means in it's originial historical text. I digress.

So, the “long way home” involved driving from the ocean to the mountains. We took off across North Carolina and ended up in Boone. It is a neat little town. Boone is allegedly the old stomping grounds of Daniel Boone, and home to Appalachian State University. ASU is of course home of the Mountaineers that knocked off Michigan in the Big House last year, and old stomping grounds of Coach Prince. Hopefully we can channel the ASU spirit we got in this area and give the Wildcats some good juju from SC so they can get it together.

The campus is gorgeous. I expected hillbilly shanties and liquor stills by the creek. Yep, I was wrong. They are building like crazy, all the buildings have the same brick style, and the area is picturesque. We stayed at the campus center that is part hotel on the hilliest campus I have ever seen. I am not lying. We went on a run and I first almost died falling down the hill, and then almost had a heart attack on the way back up. It was ridiculous. They have a campus shuttle to drag folks around so they can get class to class, it is that tough. I would be fit, with a capital F-I-T if I were a Mountaineer. If you aren’t, you are either not going to class or need to lay WAY off the Ding Dongs.

We drove down the Blue Ridge Parkway, which I totally recommend, and went to Grandfather Mountain. We did some hiking to a swinging bridge that I crossed without issue. Impressive as I have paralyzing fears of heights and general mechanical failures of all bridges, planes, cars, guardrails, elevators, and ski lifts. There are all sorts of signs with the jist of “KEEP TRACK OF YOUR DAMN KIDS” and “IF YOU HIKED UP HERE, THERE IS NO RIDE TO THE BOTTOM FATTY”.

We were sure tired when we got home. It was a ton of fun though. We are pretty good at being really great sight-seers that don’t take good pictures. Hope I use my words well.

No comments: