Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Charleston

Travis Lenkner came to town this weekend and we headed 2 1/2 hours to the coast. Yep, only 2 1/2 hours, no plane ride involved. Jealous yet?

Charleston was fantastic. It is a really interesting mix of old and new. When I say "old" I mean "OLD" like Revolutionary War old. On Saturday we stood outside in line to eat some southern cooking in a tiny restaurant, walked around town to see the sights, and then had some really great seafood for dinner. They have carriage rides that you can take all around the city to see the sights, but most things are in pretty good walking distances. It is totally worth a trip to see a city like that.

On Sunday we drove across a new really high bridge over the water, and a really cool bridge over marshlands to get to Isle of Palms. Very nice coastline for sure with some big waves and warm water. The outdoor temperature was around 81 degrees while the water temperature was 83 degrees. There were a ton of folks surfing and a bunch of kids digging really deep holes...that seemed to be the cool thing to do on Sunday apparently. I even saw a grown woman digging a really deep hole with a shovel by herself. Not sure if I can even speculate what that was about. Travis and I managed to get our pants wet (imagine me doing that) when we were standing in the surf and not paying attention, so I had to buy a 10 dollar CRAPPY beach towel and got to see a giant lady with a giant tattoo on her giant arm of a giant torso of a giant naked lady....now that is class. Thought about trying to nonchalantly take a picture with my camera phone, but decided I would be risking a serious beating from her one arm while the naked lady watched from the other arm...

I am certain that my mother will be disappointed that the most detailed part of my post about one of the most beautiful places in America involves white trash tattoo choice....Love you mom!

No comments: