Saturday, August 18, 2007

The Side of the Road - not a fun place to be!

Ahhh…the joys of 62 mph average driving on the Interstate. I’m now “that guy” driving really slow down the road. The Penske had a governor at 70 mph, though I’d hit 71 ½ if I caught a fairly steep downhill! Of course, just west of Booneville, MO, (mile marker 90.4, to be exact – can you believe they put them every .2 of a mile in Missouri?) a puff of smoke, followed by a whole lotta smoke, told me something was wrong.

As I opened the door, the entire driver’s side of the truck was covered in oil. Not a good sign at all. I got on the phone to Penske and they sent out a mobile repair unit. After 90 minutes of sweating while sitting with dad in the cab (to avoid the mosquitos), “Yogi” arrived. He was a great guy who walked right up to the truck, shone his flashlight inside, and said, “Yep, I can fix that!” Thank goodness – the biggest worry of all was that we’d have to switch trucks, which would mean unloading and reloading. No way we could have fit it all back in without Tom’s expert packing! Anyway, 30 minutes and four gallons of oil later, we were back on the road to Booneville and done driving for the day…

No comments: